Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

Worth

Monday, May 25, 2009

An Unwavering Connection to the Infinite

From the Daily Om, we have this great little article about self worth that I found interesting. I'm wondering if our feelings of self worth are directly related to the way we organize our lives. Would I take better care of myself? Would I have more money? Would I have healthier relationships? Would I be happier? And if I did feel genuuinely worthy of all the good that life has to offer me, what would I do today? What would I be doing right now in this moment?

Here's the article:

Though much of who and what we are changes as we journey through life, our inherent worth remains constant. While the term self-worth is often used interchangeably with self-esteem, the two qualities are inherently different. Self-esteem is the measure of how you feel about yourself at a given moment in time. Your worth, however, is not a product of your intelligence, your talent, your looks, your good works, or how much you have accomplished. Rather it is immeasurable and unchanging manifestation of your eternal and infinite oneness with the universe. It represents the cornerstone of the dual foundations of optimism and self-belief. Your worth cannot be taken from you or damaged by life’s rigors, yet it can easily be forgotten or even actively ignored. By regularly acknowledging your self-worth, you can ensure that you never forget what an important, beloved, and special part of the universe you are.

23889423


You are born worthy—your worth is intertwined with your very being. Your concept of your own self-worth is thus reinforced by your actions. Each time you endeavor to appreciate yourself, treat yourself kindly, define your personal boundaries, be proactive in seeing that your needs are met, and broaden your horizons, you express your recognition of your innate value. During those periods when you have lost sight of your worth, you will likely feel mired in depression, insecurity, and a lack of confidence. You’ll pursue a counterfeit worth based on judgment rather than the beauty that resides within. When you feel worthy, however, you will accept yourself without hesitation. It is your worth as an individual who is simultaneously interconnected with all living beings that allows you to be happy, confident, and motivated. Because your conception of your worth is not based on the fulfillment of expectations, you’ll see your mistakes and failures as just another part of life’s journey.

Human beings are very much like drops of water in an endless ocean. Our worth comes from our role as distinct individuals as well as our role as an integral part of something larger than ourselves. Simply awakening to this concept can help you rediscover the copious and awe-inspiring worth within each and every one of us.



What do you guys think? Are your energy drains directly related to your feelings of self worth? Or something entirely different? Do you appreciate yourself, treat yourself kindly, define your personal boundaries, be proactive in seeing that your needs are met, and broaden your horizons? And when you do those things do you find you have more energy? Alternatively, do you find yourself mired in depression, insecurity, and a lack of confidence? And when you find yourself in that place, do you also experience exhaustion, fatigue, and a sense of being overwhelmed by life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading this a few times I don't think I really have much of a feeling of self worth. Which I find quite depressing. If someone would have asked me I would have said I had good self worth but not now. I don't really do much of anything for me, to take care of myself. In an abstract way you think you do but in reality I don't

Cindy H said...

It's interesting that self worth and self esteem are so different, I really never thought about that before.

I do believe that my self worth is higher now than it was when I was younger. I take better care of myself now that I'm older.

I think I had some problems with self worth and self esteem when I first went on disability - it seems like so much of both of those is tied to our jobs - however, I know realize that I "put in my time" and deserve to love, appreciate and care for myself now.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Hi guys! Well, this was huge for me, because I really do have a problem with the self-worth thing. Self esteem, not so much, I hold myself in such high esteem that I don't feel it necessary to do ANYTHING at all to make my life easier - after all - I can handle just about anything, I'm tough, I'm strong, I'm almost invincible - I don't need to be pampered, I don't need to be "taken care of" or any of that stuff... I take care of OTHER people!

Self worth - now that's a different story altogether. And I think Daniel has it right when he says that in an abstract way you THINK you do but in REALITY you don't. At least that does seem to be true for me too.

I also don't think I respect myself very much... I don't respect the part of me that NEEDS comfort, that NEEDS order, that NEEDS anything. I get needy sometimes, but I don't ever NEED anything from myself ... which doesn't even make sense, yet when I look at the last 3 weeks... it's exactly what I've been doing!

And yes, I will accept help but only when it makes the OTHER person feel better, and even if the help I receive isn't really all that helpful. How can I continue to be "needy" if I don't accept the help that is offered?

Very interesting how I can be "needy" and yet not need anything. No wonder my life is so messed up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails