Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

Best Friends

Sunday, July 05, 2009

best friends


There is one person, and one person only, that you will spend the rest of your life with. That person is there in the good times and the bad, for better or for worse. The person that I'm talking about is the ONLY person that you will ever truly know. And, your relationship with this person will be reflected in the relationships you have with the people around you. It has a direct influence on your feelings of self worth.

This person is you.


Today, let's explore our relationships with ourselves. Let's take a good long look at finding ways to be our own best friend. Here's a little something to help get you started:
  • List the qualities of a "friend."
  • Now add to this list the additional qualities you would want to see in a "good friend."

Go ahead and start writing that list right now. Don't wait around until later. Grab a pencil and start writing. If you'd like to share your list, post it as a comment. I'd love to see it. Maybe it will give me some insights into my own list. Alright, now that we have our list made, it's time to do something useful with it. Here are some ideas:
  • Pull your list out every day and read it with the intention of extending that kind of friendship to yourself.
  • Every morning, look at yourself in the mirror and say, "I want to be your best friend. You can trust me to be _____. (insert qualities from your list)
  • At night before bed, hold the list in both hands and set an intention of allowing any obstacles to your friendship with yourself to dissipate as you sleep.
  • If you know Reiki, you can hold your list over your heart and send healing reiki energy through it.
  • Put each separate quality on a 3x5 card, or sticky note, and focus on a different one every day.

These are just ideas. It might be that simply writing the list will have a profound yet subtle effect on the relationship you have with you.

4 comments:

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Ok, here's my list so far. I may add to it later, but this is what I came up with today:

1- "gets me"
2- accepts and loves me, flaws, faults, and all.
3- has my back
4- tells me the truth
5- spends time with me, phone, email, in person, doesn't matter how - it's the time that's important to me.
6- listens when I talk
7- is loyal, won't just dump me when someone better or more interesting comes along
8- respects my ideas, opinions, experience, and yes, my wisdom too.
9- can be counted on when the chips are down
10- is there for me when I can't be there for myself

So, that's a lot of high expectations - I didn't realize how intimidating it would look until I reread it.

Actually - the most important ones are numbers 2, 8, and 10.

Or... maybe number 1 is sufficient. I've got a lot to think about here, and I wonder how writing all this down will change the dynamics of my relationship with myself! I wonder if it will impact my other relationships as well...

Very interesting.

msvb19 said...

1. loyal
2. honest
3. intelligent
4. tells the truth
5. funny
6. spends time talking to me
7. not scared of seizures
8. will help me when I am sick not leave me i can count on them
9. listens to me

no wonder I scare people

msvb19 said...

here is anothe one
10. they can and enjoy reading! lol

karla said...

-Good listener
-honest but kind
-fun-loving and silly
-non-critical
-respectful
-appreciative
-generous
-accepting
-gives me space sometimes

Related Posts with Thumbnails