Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

Wishing vs Asking vs Begging

Friday, January 28, 2011


So what was it about wishing that is different from asking or begging? Here's what I came up with via the MacMillan Dictionary:

  1. Wishing means to want something to happen although it is unlikely.
    For example:(I wish I was rich!) or (Andy wished that he could think of a way of helping) or (I wish Beth would stop interfering.)
  2. To wish is a way of saying you feel sorry or disappointed about something you did or did not do.
    For example: (I wish I’d never come!) or (Now he wished that he had listened more carefully.)
  3. To wish is a formal way to express a desire.
    For example: (Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss the matter.)
  4. Saying, "if you wish"  implies that permission is given.
    For example: (You may have a look around, if you wish.)
  5. Wish is also used for saying that you hope that someone enjoys something or that something good happens to them.
    For example: wish someone a Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas etc: - (May I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.) or wish someone luck/happiness/success: (I wish you every success.) or (The crowd wished them well as they left for their honeymoon.)
  6. "As you wish" is used for telling someone that they can do or have whatever they want. It is a formal giving of permission. (Even if it is not what you want them to do.)
    For example: (You can sit as close to the stage as you wish.) or  (Of course. As you wish, sir.)
  7. Can be used to tell someone what you want.
    For example: (I wish you’d stop going on about all your problems!)
  8. "I wish" can be used for saying that something is not true, although you would be pleased if it were true.
    For example: ('Did she give you some money?’ ‘I wish!’)
  9. "You wish"  can be used for telling someone that the thing that they want to happen is completely impossible.
    For example: (‘I told Ben that Sally was my girlfriend.’ ‘You wish!’)
  10. To not wish something is to not want something to happen to someone because it is very bad.
    For example: (It’s such a disgusting task, I wouldn’t wish it on anybody.)

As you can see, wishing means wanting, it gives permissions, and yet, at the same time wishing implies impossibilities and improbabilities. That being said, we continue to do it... At least, I know I do. What about you? Do you have a wish list? Do you wish on stars? birthday candles? dandelion fluff? What do you think it is that makes a wish come true? Is it blind luck? a random blessing? What?

Now for a blast from the past, we have this post for those of you following our original Praying for Prosperity project: Words of Wisdom. How about it? Any words of wisdom you'd like to share? Please? Please?? I wish??

2 comments:

Cindy H said...

The definitions for wishing were interesting and actually gave me a giggle because when one of my friend's daughters was about 4 or 5years old, if she wanted something, she always used the word "wish" for it instead of just asking for it. I think maybe she thought it sounded nicer and less demanding. It used to crack me up. If she saw a box of cookies on the kitchen counter, for example, she would come up to me and say, "I sure wish I could have a cookie", instead of just directly asking for one. I thought it was sort of cute and original! It did annoy some people, though.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Hi Ciney - So, what do you think? Do the powers that be (God, our Angels, etc) think we're cute when we "wish"? and annoying when we "beg"? Or vice/versa? Or are we always cute to them because they love us so much?

And I agree... wishing for something does sound nicer and less demanding than out right asking...

I'm going to try it... wish me luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails