Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

Doing Nothing

Sunday, June 07, 2009

We all need space -- free from demands, deadlines, expectations and judgments -- to explore who we are and what life is all about. Free time, with absolutely no agenda, is rich with potential. How can we grow if we have no space and freedom to dream?

"Deny children -- or anyone else -- the chance to do ‘nothing,’ and we may be denying them the chance to do ‘something’ -- to find and do any work that is truly important to themselves or to someone else."

~John Holt

WideOpenSpaces_sm


One of the reasons to plug our energy drains is so that we can have the time and the energy to do what it is we want to do with our lives, and to be who we want to be in the world. And it occurred to me that "free time" is just as important as cleaning out a closet or dealing with a difficult situation. So... with that in mind:

What can you do today to free up your time and your energy so that you can have a space of time that IS free from demands, deadlines, expectations, and judgments? Would it be a good day to just drop everything and go for a nice long walk on the beach? (I wish) Or maybe it would feel good to clear your calendar and create a weekend of fun and relaxation. I don't know what works for you, I don't know what's possible for you, and I'm wondering if there isn't something, some small thing that you could finish, rearrange, or clear out that would allow you some space to be free and unencumbered.

And just in case you're not sure what that might look like, you can visit this link. It'll take you to a web page that illustrates exactly what I'm talking about.

What I'm going to do is this:

Next weekend is my own. No blogging, no errands, no to do list, I'm going to find someone to take care of my animals, and I'm going to do absolutely nothing for two days in a row!! No plans, no agenda, no expectations. I was going to say that I would play and have fun... but that's a plan and an expectation. Then I was going to say that I would be "in the moment" listening only to my inner self - and again that's a plan and an expectation. So... No plans for me, no expectations, no agenda. I'm going to have 2 whole days of space and breathing room.

How cool is that? What are you going to do?

2 comments:

Cindy H said...

Shirley, that's way cool about your phone bill! Woo hoo! I'm looking forward to hearing about how your weekend goes next weekend with no plans. It's hard to not have any expectations, though. I hope it all turns out well for you!

I sort of have the opposite dilemma from today's post - most of the time it seems like I have TOO much free time - I need to figure out a way to force myself to get out and do more things.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Ahh... Cindy... too much free time... sounds like heaven!

And I can see how it can be a dilemma. What would I do if I had all the time in the world? Yowsers! I might never get off the internet!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails